Week 1 Part 1 Achill Island Ireland: 20-28 May 2016

I originally planned on writing down about my big field school adventure but my hand has completely decided to betray me after a week long of digging, scooping, troweling, and carrying heavy buckets up mountains, so here is plan B.  I will start with departure from Lexington, Kentucky and move on to this lazy Sunday of full recovery.



I left to the itty-bitty Lexington Airport around 11:00 am on Friday the 20th of May and awaited for 3 long hours. I got there so incredibly early to avoid the long TSA lines that had been making news and causing everyone to miss there flights.  Alas, I flew through the security line as one of 3 other people also did and waited in my gate and people watched.  I ended up on the tiniest plane where I couldn't even sit up straight or extend my feet out.  I can only imagine how the large man sitting next to me felt.  After, we all ran off that plane and I was in Atlanta with a 3 hour layover.  My next flight was awesome because I was in Sky class with an aisle seat, a little extra leg room, and a personal screen. I watched the movie Brooklyn with the storyline of an Irish immigrant, simply because it was fitting.  Although I was comfortable throughout the entire flight, I didn't sleep a wink.

Upon my arrival into the Dublin airport I got a taste of the very long TSA lines that had everyone talking.  After wanting through that line for over an hour I was finally free.  I checked in with the family through text, because I am a good daughter and went to buy my bus ticket to get the the train station so I could get to the bus. I am a professional traveler at this point.

The bus ride was short to the Dublin Heuston train station leaving me with another 2 hour layover.  I was kept entertained by and elderly man and later and elderly couple wanting to hear all about my upcoming summer.  Once I got on the train (a feat with my large luggage) a man named Roy Marsden began to chat me up.  Shockingly he was also headed to the same field school. He was a Scottish fellow who worked in IT and simply had a passion for archaeology and history, this was his third time attending this field school. The two other people who joined us on the train were also headed in the same direction. Adrienne, a 23 year old graduate from Berkley California and Alison, a 73 year old English professor from Manhattan New York. We chatted the entire four hour ride into Westport where we were picked up from the train station by the character of a bus driver Jackie. The ride to the island was long and bumpy but the view was incredibly worth being up for over 40 hours!


After a mad dash around the grocery store we went to our humble little house and got moved in.  We had the entire Saturday and Sunday to explore town by ourselves and simply get accustomed.  The others living in the house for this week were:
Rachel --> Supervisor, New York, worked CRM and bar tends
Maddie --> Supervisor, Massachusetts, just graduated
Stefanie --> Supervisor, Texas/Denver, graduated and here for 15 weeks
Courtney --> Wisconsin, just quit FBI, world traveler
David --> Australia, carpenter
Dorothy --> Chicago, just graduated
Stuart --> English, in charge of us

Instead of having a massive post about the entire week, I am going to split this into a few parts.  No promises on the rest of the 6 week program. This is what it is for now.


Comments

Popular Posts