Week 2 Achill Island: 30 May-4 June 2016

I'm behind so this isn't going to be as specific, but that is okay.

We still haven't gotten any rain yet so the dirt has dried out quite a bit making it hard to tell differences in the types of soil as well as making lots of dust to be blown into our eyes. Monday and Tuesday we just kept digging, and then brushing off the rocks to be able to get a clear photograph.

Wednesday we went on our usual tours of the surrounding areas. This particular tour trip we went around North East Achill.  Luckily the walk was nice and easy, and the far away places Jackie drove us to.  We went to two Megalithic tombs, the 19th century Achill Mission, saw a pair of coastal middens, and a settlement and burial ground eroding out of the low cliffs.  It was nice and sunny the entire week except the wind was horrendous!






Since we finished all of the troweling we had to draw up every single little rock using a plum bob and grid. It was lots of work focused in on small details, but apparently I am really good at drawing.



On saturday we decided to walk up Slievemore Mountain for a charity event going on in the town for a young boy who died of cancer.  The walk was 670 meters up and was absolutely horrid but I am glad that I did it.  The first person leading the way went up the mountain the wrong way, and of course everyone followed so that made the walk up much harder.  I ended up walking up with a local women named Ann Marie who just told me a lot about where she has lived all over the world, a coast guard employee named Robert, and their friend Mary. When I almost got all the way to the top a paraglider almost killed me (literally!). He began to run off the mountain to catch air but ended up sliding super fast towards me on the mountain.  He would have taken out my legs and then we would have gone flying off the mountain together!! I had to scramble on my hands and feet to get low and out of the way fast enough.  Of course there was an audience, full of people covering their mouths and all I could hear was Robert the coast guard man yelling "Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit!" Thankfully I am ok but am now known around town as the girl who climbed a mountain after breaking her back only to almost be killed by a paraglider.




Saturday the rest of the new group showed up and we all just rested for the most point.  On sunday we decided to walk to the beach.  It was really hot that day so we ended up sticking our feet in the ocean and building a sand castle.  The grocery store was open so we stopped in to get an ice-cream cone and on the way out we went to the take out place was open!! (it is normally only open on Fridays from 5 pm-10 pm). Right after we stopped to get ice-cream we saw the cutest little puppy dog and asked the lady if we could pet it.  She said of course, handed me the leash and disappeared for almost 20 minutes!!  Of course I didn't really mind too much.




And that was all we really did that week!

Oh and as a last minute side note something that I find fun is that people in the town know us as the "diggers" and that is what they refer to us by and introduce us as.

Comments

Popular Posts